Are you looking to apply for a family visit visa for friends or family to come and visit you in the UK? Family visit visas are typically valid for up to 6 months. However, there are strict rules and criteria regarding what is and isn’t allowed when entering the UK on a family visit visa.
Who is eligible for a family visit visa?
Anyone who wishes to come to the UK to visit family or friends is eligible except for those who qualify to reside in the UK, for example, people on a dual visa.
The relative they are visiting in the UK must also meet some criteria including;
- Settlement in the UK
- Citizen of the UK
- Humanitarian or asylum protection in the UK
The family visa requires that all applicants meet the following eligibility requirements;
- Must be aged 18 or over
- The visit is for less than 6 months.
- They will be leaving the UK when the visit visa expires.
- They have the funds to support themselves without working or asking for assistance from public funds. Family and friends can provide this support.
- They can fund their return home.
- Currently in transit to a country outside the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Island and Ireland.
What can you do on a family visit visa?
The visa allows you to undertake certain activities when in the UK, such as;
- Take holidays – your visit to the UK is your holiday, and you will be a tourist.
- See family and friends.
- Pass through the UK to another country
- To attend certain business activities such as meetings or an interview.
- Volunteer with registered charities for up to 30 days
- On a school exchange programme
- For studying, placements or taking exams.
- Medical reasons, receiving treatment or having an operation
- If you are a senior doctor, dentist or academic.
What can you not do on a family visit visa?
The family visit visa for the UK prohibits certain activities including;
- Doing any paid or unpaid work for a UK business.
- Setting up as self-employed.
- LIve in the UK via obtaining frequent family visit visas in succession
- Get married or enter a civil partnership.
Providing proof for your visa
When making your application for the visa, you need to be able to provide proof of family in the UK.
You must provide the names and addresses of the relatives or friends being visited in the UK. Whether this is mother, father, sister, brother, grandparents, friends, or a person they have been in a long term relationship with.
Qualifying for a family visit visa
To make sure you are making the correct visa application for your family and friends, at SMA law, we are an expert Immigration Solicitor London who can help you make the correct visa application for your requirements and ensure you don’t put yourself or anyone at risk of breaching the terms of the visa or having your request denied. Talk to us to find out how we can help you today.