Can I sponsor my sister and her family to UK?

One of the questions that we’re often asked by relatives already in the UK, is “Can I sponsor my sister and her family to the UK?”

If your sister and her family requested you to assist them in moving to the UK, this blog may help you in working through that process. How you can sponsor someone to come and live in the UK and provide some crucial sponsorship information will be discussed and given.

Application form and reason to apply for moving to the UK:

  • Obtain an application form: The application form can be found online on the UK Visa website and printing it off.
  • Common questions: The reason for wanting to sponsor your family must be given when filling in this form, and are you, as a sponsor, eligible to sponsor your family?
  • If your application is successful, your sponsored family members will be granted visas that allow them to live and work in the UK for an initial period of five years.
  • If the application is rejected, you will be given the opportunity to appeal the decision. The first step is to request a ‘reconsideration’ from the Home Office.

Fees for an application, as well as the fees for the application form:

  • The current fee for an application is around £18,600 per year; this is to ensure that you, the sponsor, can support your sponsored family members financially.
  • The fees for the application form are £85 for a single person and £170 for a family of four.
  • If you are applying from outside the UK, an additional £55 surcharge per person must be paid.
  • Possibility of reducing the cost: There is a possibility of reducing the cost if you are on a low income or receiving certain benefits. You can find out more information on the Gov.UK website.

Documentation and paperwork required:

The documentation and paperwork requested will vary depending on your individual circumstances but is likely to include:

  • Your passport
  • Birth certificates for any family members you are sponsoring
  • A recent photograph
  • Proof of your current address, such as a utility bill or tenancy agreement
  • Evidence of your income such as payslips or tax returns
  • Bank statements show you have enough money to support your family financially.
  • In some cases, additional docs may be requested, such as police reports
  • If certain documents cannot be provided, there may be an alternative way of providing the required evidence.
  • Once the application has been submitted, it can take several months for a decision to be made.

In conclusion, an overview of what is required when wanting to sponsor your family. SMA SOLICITORS can help with your application from start to finish, increasing your chances of success.

Contact information

Please feel free to contact us at the following detail.  We will gladly assist you with any questions.


T: 020 8951 9959

F: 020 8951 9950

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.